|% Urban:||92.7 %|
|Population Under 15 Yrs:||27.9 %|
|Official Language:||Hebrew, Arabic. Numerous immigrant languages from all over the world are spoken|
|Literacy Rate:||98 %|
|HDI Ranking:||19 / 189|
|% Christian:||2 %|
|% Evangelical:||0.4 %|
|% Largest Religion:||75.4 %|
|Least Reached People Groups:||38|
|% Unevangelized:||52 %|
Interest in the gospel increased within Israel, especially among Jews, and especially the last few years. At least 12,000 Jews recognize Jesus as their Messiah just within Israel. Messianic Jews are now an undeniable part of Israeli society, but growth also brings persecution. Pray for boldness in witness, and perseverance in faith despite the opposition. The return of Jews to Israel was a significant period in Jewish history. Many see it as a fulfilment of prophecy. Pray for the nation’s spiritual restoration (Romans 11:25-31).
Major outreach challenges:
- The ultra-Orthodox Haredi are only 10% of the population, but they have strong political influence. They are like modern Pharisees, who strictly observe and preserve their religious laws and identity. Pray for many more to become like Nicodemus (John, chapters 3, 7, and 19).
- The Ethiopian Jews (Beta Israel) arrived as immigrants over a decade ago. Now they are largely a poor, urban underclass. Fewer than 2,000 (out of 120,000) are Messianic believers.
- The Arabs are over 90% Muslim. But Arabs also make up the majority of Christians in the Holy Land. They face pressure from all sides, as Israelis discriminate against them, Islamists persecute them, and the international community largely overlooks their situation.
- The Druze community are closed to outsiders, but a small movement to Jesus has begun among them.
- The 8 million Jews outside Israel live mostly in the USA, the former USSR, and other Western nations. Perhaps 100,000 now have links with Messianic congregations, and a much larger number attend other Christian churches. Pray for Gentile churches to have greater sensitivity to the Jewish remnant within the global Church.
- Get all of this content and daily notifications in our free mobile app. Download here ›
- Sign up for a daily e-mail that gets you the featured prayer point of the day straight to your inbox.
- This content is a curated selection of points from our book, Operation World. Find out more about it and all the rest of Our Publications ›
Content taken or adapted from Operation World, 7th Edition (2010) and Pray for the World (2015). Both books are published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.