Peace, stability, and democracy came since 1992, after the suffering of civil war. Elections now replace assassinations. God answered prayer! The country must prioritize recovery from the wounds made by centuries of oppression and 12 years of civil war. Over 75,000 died in fighting or by death squads. 20% of the population fled. Pray for repentance, reconciliation, and a fair society based on respect for human rights. Pray also that the many who fled and prospered elsewhere might be a part of building a more stable and thriving future for El Salvador.
The growth of Evangelicals in the midst of travail has been a modern-day miracle, but now the need is for consolidation of the work. There is a growing number of ex-evangelicals that underscores this need. The 1990s saw bold goals set for church planting; although those goals were not met, as many as 9,000 churches were planted. This fervour has subsided of late, even though more evangelical congregations are needed in the country. Pray for effective discipling and motivation of believers for service, witness and missions. Pray also for increased unity and vision for outreach so that this nation might belong to Jesus - El Salvador is Spanish for 'the Saviour'.
Leadership for churches must be multiplied. The war, lack of finance and insufficient staff crippled what training was available. Pray for the Bible schools, seminaries and TEE programmes. Pray for the provision of all material needs for staff and students in this time of economic stress. This ministry needs more missionary input. Many mission agencies are heavily committed to health, social betterment and educational ministries.
Missions vision has grown. The ministries of COMISAL (the national expression of COMIBAM) and of indigenous missions - such as MIES, AMIGA, EDEHM, COMIFAD, ADN, TRES, ATN and AoG Missions - are expressions of El Salvador's missions vision. These are in addition to international mission groups such as OM and YWAM/JUCUM. An estimated 165 missionaries are serving in other lands. Pray that mission involvement might increase and be fruitful.
Specific groups for prayer:
- The Amerindian population retain many of their cultural values and traits, even though they have largely lost their languages. Their treatment in the 20th Century has been horrific. Pray for effective ministries to begin and for culturally sensitive church planting among them.
- The 115,000 university students. MUC(IFES) has 35 student groups, reaching most universities and colleges. Cru also works in El Salvador. Training leaders is the greatest challenge.
- Get all of this content and daily notifications in our free mobile app. Download here ›
- Sign up for a daily e-mail that gets you the featured prayer point of the day straight to your inbox.
- This content is a curated selection of points from our book, Operation World. Find out more about it and all the rest of Our Publications ›
Content taken or adapted from Operation World, 7th Edition (2010) and Pray for the World (2015). Both books are published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.