The deep impact of historic and recent hatred among Croat, Serb, and Bosnian may hurt the nation for generations to come. Pray for true reconciliation, and for God to break these religious and ethnic bondages through the power of Christ! The Catholic Church holds much influence in society, and some Catholic leaders work towards reconciliation. Many people still suffer psychological and emotional trauma from the conflicts, and churches could have a great impact in this area where few others currently work.
Evangelicals are one of the few groups that straddle the ethnic divide. Many Bosnians, Croats and Serbs have been won to Christ and brought into fellowship together. The churches' and missions' care and love for those who suffered in the war won much credit for the gospel. Pray that evangelicals would continue to demonstrate the boundary-breaking, universal love of God.
Specific groups for prayer:
- Young people. High unemployment, little confidence in the future, functional godlessness and widespread drug use (80% of teens) show that hope is in short supply. Creative outreach and authentic love will see a response if believers are willing to stick it out. There is a strong focus by evangelicals on ministering to drug addicts.
- Students. There is a witness among the 25,000 tertiary students through STEP(IFES) and Cru. More staff and volunteers are needed to reach this searching generation.
- Get all of this content and daily notifications in our free mobile app. Download here ›
- Sign up for a daily e-mail that gets you the featured prayer point of the day straight to your inbox.
- This content is a curated selection of points from our book, Operation World. Find out more about it and all the rest of Our Publications ›
Content taken or adapted from Operation World, 7th Edition (2010) and Pray for the World (2015). Both books are published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.