Poverty and inequality continue to plague Bolivia and drive a wedge between the haves and have-nots. Recent political upheaval includes the removal of former President Morales in 2019 but a landslide electoral victory in 2020 of his successor Luis Arce. Bolivian farmers are able to earn more money for the coca leaf than for other products, but some uses for coca are illegal. Rich gas deposits in the east lead to tension among the white elite, the highland peoples of the west, and the mixed and Indian peoples of the east. Pray that individuals in power and those in poverty will find courage to reject temptations and make wise decisions.
The Catholic Church is confronted by multiple crises. Its long-held political supremacy is rapidly declining as is its share of Bolivia's population. Large losses to faith groups provoke local discrimination and pressure against non-Catholics. It has failed to develop an indigenous clergy and to challenge the rampant paganism within the majority it claims to shepherd. Pray that the millions of nominal and Christo-pagan Catholics might come to a living faith in Christ.
Bible translation and distribution. The Bible Society has been and remains instrumental in all aspects of this vital ministry. Over one million NTs have been distributed in schools. The Aymara and Quechua Bibles are in great demand, but without effective literacy programmes, their impact is blunted. Nearly every Amerindian language that warrants translation work has received it; SIL, The Bible Society and the Catholics have been instrumental in this. Pray for a powerful impact of God's Word on all groups in Bolivia.
Christian media ministry:
- TV and radio have a massive role to play, since a radio is a vital possession to every family. Listenership of local radio stations is increasing. There are now 11 local evangelical stations, including Ekklesia, Musoj Chaski radio in Quechua (launched by NTM, SIM, Pioneers) and others. International stations (HCJB, TWR, others) broadcast daily in Spanish, and HCJB especially in Quechua and Aymara. Pray for this vital medium in a country where all other media are restricted in impact by illiteracy, poverty and isolation.
- The JESUS film, was widely used with considerable impact in Spanish, Aymara and Quechua, and has been seen by a high proportion of the population. Pray for new materials with similar impact.
- Get all of this content and daily notifications in our free mobile app. Download here ›
- Sign up for a daily e-mail that gets you the featured prayer point of the day straight to your inbox.
- This content is a curated selection of points from our book, Operation World. Find out more about it and all the rest of Our Publications ›
Content taken or adapted from Operation World, 7th Edition (2010) and Pray for the World (2015). Both books are published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.